Social Media Day SD, 2016
Last week, I attended the Social Media Day conference in San Diego where I was lucky enough to hear all of the world’s foremost authorities on Social Media discuss the latest trends that brands & social media marketers should be aware of.
It’s no surprise that every speaker talked about Video: FB Live, Snapchat & YouTube. There was no mention of Twitter (My, how times have changed), and very little mention of Pinterest. Video was the talk of the town, and for good reason.
Why VIDEO Content is King
Starting in 2015, increased bandwidth and easy to use apps allowed everyone with a smartphone to become a live broadcaster. I’m a huge fan of Facebook LIVE, where I create a weekly live video training in my Jeneration Insiders group for entrepreneurs (Wait, you’re a member of our awesome FB Community, right?!).
Facebook is going ALL IN on video content, investing upwards of $50MM to publishers and celebrities for content and live streaming.
Facebook is giving huge, massive reach to all FB Live content. While you are live, your content is being pushed out at the top of your newsfeed, with your whole network notified that you are live. You still get incredible reach after your video is no longer live. Bottom line: FB Live is the absolute best way to get organic, unpaid reach. Trust me.
In 3…2…1… We’re LIVE!
First, make sure you’re running the latest version of the Facebook app. You can ONLY broadcast live from a mobile phone, as FB Live is not available on desktop yet.
Then, on your personal page or a group (hooray for groups!), click into where it says “What’s on your mind” like a normal status update, and you will get the “Update Status” menu like this.
Simply click “Live Video” and you’re in business!
You will get the opportunity to give your live video a subject where it says “Describe your live video…” and this can easily be edited and updated after your live recording. Then press “Go Live” and you’ll get a countdown.
It’s really that simple to access this powerful tool for your business.
Now that you know HOW to broadcast with FB Live, here’s how to make the most out of it.
Make Your Live Videos Successful:
- Keep it simple and don’t overcomplicate things
- The longer you are live, the more organic reach you will get for your content
- Have fun, and your audience will have fun with you
- Focus on providing quality, value-packed content
- Build your Know, Like & Trust factor by engaging with your audience and just being yourself
- You don’t have to be perfect, just be real & relatable
- Focus on Storytelling – live video is built on the cornerstone of the stories you tell
Live Video can be used to:
- Teach people something – Focus on educational content to impart knowledge and share the stuff you know
- Inspire & motivate – Share what you ARE with your audience and connect with them on a personal level
- Entertain – Have FUN doing what you are doing. We are drawn to people who look like they are having fun. Remember Chewbacca Mom? Her video went viral because she was genuine and was having so much fun!
What YOU can be sharing on Live Video:
- Focus on sharing content from one of 3 places: Where you are, who you are with, and what you are doing
- Live stream music and entertainment
- Share information & knowledge based on your own personal stories
- Go Behind the scenes in your business and introduce your team
- Show off your city
- Provide special offers & discounts
- Selling should be the last thing that you do; Once you establish your customers like, know & trust you, then a transaction will be much easier
Just focus on bringing massive value, be consistent and trust the process!
Watch my video below with Jenn Herman of Jenn’s Trends, which we recorded live from Social Media Day SD and shared in my Facebook group. Jenn & I dish about everything we learned at the conference, all of the latest trends in social media, and some simple yet can’t-miss strategies for you to implement in your business to get the most out of your social media initiatives. Watch below!